The Mussel Reef Restoration Trust (we, us, our) complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person).
This policy sets out how we will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information.
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz.
Changes to this policy
Who do we collect your personal information from
We collect personal information about you from:
- you, when you provide that personal information to us, including via the website and any related service, through any registration or sign-up process, through any contact with us (e.g. telephone call or email), or when you use our services
- third parties where you have authorised this or the information is publicly available.
If possible, we will collect personal information from you directly.
What personal information we collect
If you use the website we may collect basic information about you (name, email address) in order to provide you with the services you’ve requested, e.g. to be added to a mailing list.
How we use your personal information
We may use your personal information:
- to personalise your experience on this website
- to let you know about services, activities, hui, wānanga and other events – which may require us to contact you electronically (e.g. by text or email)
- to respond to communications from you
- to conduct research and statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis)
- to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim
- for any other purpose authorised by you or the Act.
Disclosing your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to:
- any business that supports our operation, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide the website or other services and activities, e.g. Mailchimp for email.
- other third parties (for anonymised statistical information)
- a person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority)
- any other person authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency)
- any other person authorised by you.
A business that supports our operation may be located outside of New Zealand. This may mean your personal information is held and processed outside New Zealand. This includes overseas data storage.
Protecting your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request a correction to your personal information. Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
In respect of a request for correction, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction we will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that you requested the correction.
If you want to exercise either of the above rights, email us. Your email should provide evidence of who you are and set out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting).
While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.
If you post your personal information on the website, and/or our social media pages, you acknowledge and agree that the information you post is publicly available.
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
If you have any concerns about the way we are treating privacy please Contact Us.